Who we are & what we are researching
We are a team at the Centre for Transport & Society, UWE Bristol, and we are investigating how people perceive and behave in different types of side road crossings, so that road crossing design can be improved.
To do this, we are organising online focus groups (i.e. online discussion groups) in March. Each online focus group will involve around 6 participants and last max 75 minutes. Participants will be able to share their experiences of crossing side roads in a friendly and informal setting, with the help of a researcher who will facilitate the discussion. To thank participants for their time, we will give them a shopping voucher.
Who can take part in the research?
We are looking for a mix of ordinary people, aged 18+, from ALL WALKS OF LIFE and from different areas across the UK, who may fall into one or more of the following categories:
- People with disabilities and/or reduced mobility
- People who regularly cycle for transport (including with children)
- People who regularly walk for transport (including with children, pushchairs etc.)
- Any other transport users (e.g. drivers, e-scooter users etc.)
What do you need to take part?
You don’t need any special qualifications or knowledge to take part. To join the focus group, you can use an electronic device connected to the internet – we will use Microsoft Teams, which is the UWE-approved online platform. Some of the focus groups will involve watching short video clips and images on the screen. If you cannot access the internet or have any accessibility needs (e.g. BSL interpretation), please let us know in advance so we can support you.
When are the online focus groups taking place?
- Monday 7th March 12:00-13:15 (only for people living/working/studying in Greater London)
- Monday 7th March 18:00-19:15
- Tuesday 8th March 18:00-19:15 (only for people living/working/studying in Greater London)
- Wednesday 9th March 12:00-13:15
- Thursday 10th March 8:45-10:00 (only for people living/working/studying in Greater London)
- Thursday 10th March 12:00-13:15 (only for people living/working/studying in the Bradford/Leeds/York area)
- Friday 11th March 8:45-10:00
- Friday 11th March 12:00-13:15 (only for people living/working/studying in Birmingham)
- Saturday 12th March 10:00-11:15
How to take part
If you wish to take part in one of the focus groups, please send an email to email@example.com providing the following details:
- Your full name;
- Age & gender;
- Place of residence (village, town or city);
- Any disabilities and accessibility needs;
- Which focus group(s) you wish or are able to join. We will invite you to ONE focus group only.